FOSTER CARE SUPPORT INTO THE FUTURE
An important message from Karitane Board & Executive and The Connecting Carers NSW Team
• The work of CCNSW, since its establishment in 2008, has provided support, advocacy and education for many carers across NSW. CCNSW has also helped shape the future of foster care recruitment and support, participating in forums and consultation processes that have informed the future integrated carer program. In line with the recommissioning of OOHC there are new changes necessary to recruit, develop and support the current and future carers of NSW.
• The system providing care to children and young people is changing; there is an emphasis on reducing the length of time children remain in the system in order to provide certainty and stability. In March 2017, the Premier and Minister for Family and Community Services announced major changes to the child protection and out-of-home care system under ‘Their Futures Matter’ and the ‘Permanency Support Program’.
• An open tender for the integrated carer program commenced in August 2017. This process will be finalized in November 2017 with the successful agency or consortium being announced around that time. This agency or consortium will be continuing to provide excellent care, support, education, training and advocacy for current and new carers.
• CCNSW will continue to provide, support, advocacy, camps and training to carers across NSW. All current services will remain available until such time as the transition to the integrated carer program occurs.
• The CCNSW support line services will be maintained and the training calendar has been developed to December 2017. There will also be 2 Family Camps in November 2017, one in the Northern Region and one in the Central West of NSW.
There is an opportunity for you to help shape what type of training, advocacy and support you receive in the future. FACS has developed a survey which is being promoted to all foster, relative/kin carers, guardians and adoptive parents.
The survey is anonymous and asks about your experience so far and what you want to see more of in the future.
The survey can be accessed at caring.childstory.nsw.gov.au